Formal requirements for documents and their submission
Please provide each document in English, in PDF format. As an exception, if you have completed the MA thesis in another language than English, or you submit a publication that appeared in a non-English language scientific outlet, you can provide these documents in their original language. However, you need to also provide a 700 words English-language summary of your MA thesis or academic publication.
Name the documents as follows: Number of the document in the checklist_document title_your last and first name_discipline (e.g. 3_Academic Curriculum Vitae_Kowalski_Jane_Philosophy).
In the email message subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org write “PHD APPLICATION and the discipline you are applying for (i.e. PHD APPLICATION PHILOSOPY, PHD APPLICATION POLITICAL STUDIES, PHD APPLICATION PHILOSOPY, PHD APPLICATION SOCIOLOGY).
Upon submitting electronically, by August 3 (16:59 CTE time), the complete Application package, including proof of Application Fee payment, GSSR will send you a Confirmation email that your application has been received. If you do not receive a confirmation message by August 5, 14:00, please contact us at email@example.com
Checklist : Application package content
- Completed application form: Download PhD Application Form (pdf), PhD Application form_2021 (doc)
- Master’s Degree diploma or an equivalent certificate of graduation or an official document from the applicant’s university stating when the defence of the masters’ thesis is due to take place.
- Academic Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Intent (not more than one page) describing your experience to date in the given discipline, your academic interests, your aims, and the reasons for your choice of the GSSR as the place for your academic development.
- Concise description of your planned research (not more than 1500 words plus bibliography) stating your research question, explanation of why it is important for your chosen discipline. Explain how you will approach the problem , and where possible state your hypotheses, how you expect to conduct your research, and the expected outcome(s).
- Letter(s) of recommendation – not more than two with at least one from your masters’ thesis supervisor or from a person who is familiar with your academic achievements and aptitude for conducting your own research.
- Masters thesis or a selected academic publication that you (co)-authored. Please also provide a 700 words English-language summary of your MA thesis or academic publication if you wrote the MA thesis or academic publication in another language than English.
- Official transcript giving the list of courses completed during your masters’ studies and the grades awarded (the transcript is defined as an official document issued by your university, which lists all courses completed and grades received during your studies)
- Photocopy of passport (in the case of non-Polish applicants)
- Confirmation of Application Feepayment. Please include proof of payment of the 200 PLN (cf. How to Apply). The Application Fee is waived for candidates who are citizens of non-EU countries.
- Proof of English language proficiency, as described under Language requirements. Candidates who have completed their studies in English (Bachelor’s or Master’s degree) are exempt from the English language test requirement.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.