GSSR Formal Requirements for the Application Package
- Please provide each document (cf. Checklist) in English. As an exception, if you have completed the MA thesis in another language than English, or you submit a publication that appeared in a non-English language scientific outlet, you can provide these documents in their original language. However, you need to also provide a 700 words English-language summary of your MA thesis or academic publication.
- All documents must be in PDF format.
- All documents’ names must be standardized, as follows: Number of the document in the checklist_document title_your last and first name_discipline(e.g. 3_Academic Curriculum Vitae_Kowalski_Jane_Philosophy).
- In the email message subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org: “PhD APPLICATION and the discipline you are applying for (e.g. PhD APPLICATION PHILOSOPHY; or, PhD APPLICATION POLITICAL SCIENCE; etc.).
Upon submitting electronically, by July 11 (16:59 CTE time), the complete Application Package, including proof of Application Fee payment, GSSR will send a confirmation email that your application has been received. If you do not receive the confirmation by July 14, 14:00, contact us at email@example.com
Checklist: Application Package
- Completed Application Form
- Copy of Master’s Degree diploma or equivalent certificate of graduation, or an official document from the applicant’s university stating when the defense of the MA thesis is due to take place.
- Academic Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Intent(1000 – 1200 words) describing the applicant’s experience to date in the given discipline, their academic interests, aims, and the reasons for choosing GSSR as the site for doctoral training.
- Concise Description of Planned Research(1200-1500 words, excluding Bibliography, Figures or Tables) that (i) describes the research problem and why it is important for the candidate’s chosen discipline, (ii) states the research question(s), and, as applicable, testable hypotheses, (iii) briefly outlines the main theoretical framework(s) that the research ties to; (iv) introduces the research methods, and, as applicable, the data that the candidate plans to use, to address the research question(s), and, (v) outlines the envisioned type(s) of data analysis (when applicable).
- Letter(s) of Recommendation– up to two letters, with at least one from the candidate’s MA thesis supervisor or a person who is familiar with their academic achievements and aptitude for conducting independent research.
- MA Thesis or a selected (co-)authored Academic Publication. Candidates must also provide a 700-words English-language summary of their MA thesis or academic publication if these studies were originally written in another language than English.
- Official Transcript issued by the candidate’s university that lists all courses completed during MA studies or equivalent studies (cf. point 2) and corresponding grades.
- Photocopy of Passport(for applicants who are not Polish citizens)
- Payment Confirmation of Application Fee of 200 PLN. The fee is waived for candidates who are citizens of non-EU countries.
- Proof of English language proficiency.
Applicants who are non-native English speakers must submit one of the standardized English language test scores listed at Language requirements. Candidates who take
the TOEFL or IELTS should request a copy of their results to be sent directly to GSSR’s Admissions
Office. The TOEFL institution code for the GSSR is 7962.
Candidates who completed their studies in English (Bachelor’s or Master’s degree) are exempt
from the requirement to send a test certificate