Formal requirements for documents and their submission
Please provide each document in English, in PDF format. As an exception, if you have completed the MA thesis in another language than English, or you submit a publication that appeared in a non-English language scientific outlet, you can provide these documents in their original language. However, you need to also provide a 700 words English-language summary of your MA thesis or academic publication.
Name the documents as follows: Number of the document in the checklist_document title_your last and first name_discipline (e.g. 3_Academic Curriculum Vitae_Kowalski_Jane_Philosophy).
In the email message subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org write “PHD APPLICATION and the discipline you are applying for (i.e. PHD APPLICATION PHILOSOPY or PHD APPLICATION POLITICAL STUDIES or PHD APPLICATION PHILOSOPYor PHD APPLICATION SOCIOLOGY).
Upon submitting electronically, by August 3 (16:59 CTE time), the complete Application package, including proof of Application Fee payment, GSSR will send you a Confirmation email that your application has been received. If you do not receive a confirmation message by August 5, 14:00, please contact us at email@example.com
Checklist : Application package content
- Completed application form
- Copy of Master’s Degree diploma or of an equivalent certificate of graduation or an official
document from the applicant’s university stating when the defense of the MA thesis is due to
- Academic Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Intent (1000 – 1200 words) describing the applicant’s experience to date in the given
discipline, their academic interests, aims, and the reasons for choosing GSSR as the site for
- Concise description of planned research (1200-1500 words, excluding Bibliography, Figures or
Tables) that (i) describes the research problem and why it is important for the candidate’s
chosen discipline, (ii) states the research question(s), and, as applicable, testable hypotheses,
(iii) briefly outlines main the theoretical framework(s) that the research ties to; (iv) introduces
the research methods, and, as applicable, the data the candidate plans to use to address the
research question(s), and, (v) outlines the envisioned type(s) of data analysis (when applicable).
- Letter(s) of recommendation – at most two letters, with at least one from the candidate’s MA
thesis supervisor or a person who is familiar with their academic achievements and aptitude for
conducting independent research.
- MA thesis or a selected (co-)authored academic publication. Candidates must also provide a
700-words English-language summary of their MA thesis or academic publication if these studies
were originally written in another language than English.
- Official transcript issued by the candidate’s university that lists all courses completed during MA
studies or equivalent studies (cf. point 2) and corresponding grades.
- Photocopy of passport (non-Polish applicants only)
- Payment Confirmation of Application Fee of 200 PLN (the Application Fee is waived for
candidates who are citizens of non-EU countries).
- Proof of English language proficiency. Applicants who are non-native English speakers must
submit one of the standardized English language test scores listed at Language requirements. Candidates who take
the TOEFL or IELTS should request a copy of their results to be sent directly to GSSR’s Admissions
Office. The TOEFL institution code for the GSSR is 7962.
Candidates who completed their studies in English (Bachelor’s or Master’s degree) are exempt
from the requirement to send a test certificate
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.