Go to the menu Skip to content


Before you arrive

EU, UK, and visa-free countries

Citizens of EU/EFTA member countries, the UK, and other visa-free countries can enter Poland on a valid travel document.


Other countries

Citizens of other countries will have to obtain a visa before entering Poland. For more information, contact the Polish Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence. Visit the website of the Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs to see a complete list of Poland’s diplomatic missions abroad.


Legalization of stay

Non-EU citizens can enter and stay in Poland based on two types of visa: a Schengen visa (C-type Visa) or a national visa (D-type Visa).

Foreign nationals entering Poland on a visa and planning to stay for longer than 3 months have to apply for a temporary residence permit. When applying for a residence permit in Warsaw, you will have to register your case and submit your application through the inPOL portal.

Apart from 2 application forms for a temporary residence permit and 2 copies of your travel document (passport), you will have to submit 4 photographs (taken no earlier than 6 months before the application), confirmation of health insurance, declaration of having sufficient funds to support yourself and travel back to your country, confirmation of your studies issued by GSSR, transcript of records, and information about utilities expenses (water, gas, electricity, etc.).

We recommend visiting the University of Warsaw’s Welcome Point website that provides extensive advice for Non-EU/EFTA nationals seeking to apply for a temporary residence permit in Poland.

Please note that the documents will have to be filled in Polish. Any document issued in a foreign language will have to be accompanied by an official translation into Polish, made by a sworn translator. The list of sworn translators who work in Warsaw can be found here.

All foreign nationals need a document confirming their health insurance or the insurer’s coverage of health treatment in Poland. You will need these documents to secure your right to reside in Poland for more than 90 days.

EU/EEA students with a valid European Health Insurance Card are entitled to free medical help in Poland.

Non-EU citizens or EU citizens without health insurance in their home countries can sign a health insurance agreement with the National Health Fund (NFZ). This requires paying monthly contributions to the Social Insurance Institution (ZUS). You can also sign an agreement with a private health clinic, with the cost established by the health provider.